Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Boiled Peanuts!


This week has been very humid, but not because El Niño is in effect or an odd heat wave has passed through at the end of December, Nope. My husband is making Boiled Peanuts for one of my co-workers and if you ever made boiled peanuts at home before, you know that there is no need for the heater to be on that day!

Boiled Peanuts are a wonderful snack that I grew up on in South Carolina. I remember as a kid every time we went to Wal-Mart we would often stop at the Boiled Peanut stand in the parking lot for an afternoon snack. Nothing fits that niche better than a salt filled soggy peanut, mmm good!

Did you know that in 2006 South Carolina Governor Mark Sanford made Boiled Peanuts South Carolina’s state snack? I’m surprised it took that long to make it official, anyone who has ever driven through the state in the summertime knows they are in for a treat of boiled peanuts.

I am preparing to leave for South Carolina at the end of the week so I leave you this recipe for Boiled Peanuts, enjoy!

Boiled Peanut Recipe
4 pounds of raw peanuts in shell
4 quarts of water
1 cup plain salt

Soak peanuts and cover with water. Add 1 cup of salt per gallon of water. Cook on stovetop high for at 8 hours or longer if needed.

No comments: