Monday, January 12, 2009

The modern day treasure hunt!

Who doesn't love treasure hunts?

I know I've always loved hearing stories about buried treasure and always felt disappointed afterward when it dawned on me that in this day and age people have savings accounts, no need for burying your treasure. Instead of leaving a detailed map to your life savings and sticking with the "finders keepers" motto, people have wills leaving everything to specific individuals who may or may not be able to navigate unfamiliar terrain, avoid booby traps, jump ravines and solve riddles. What about us new guys? Where is our adventure? The same type of adventure that our ancestors got to experience? Is their no treasure hunt for the next generation?

This is why I was shocked to discover Geocaching and realize I've never heard of it until a few months ago

My Husband and I heard all the commotion about Geocaching from some friends out of Greensboro, NC. We didn't put much thought about it or really even understood it until we visited North Carolina this week....and WOW, I'm addicted.

Basically, Geocaching is using a hand held GPS device, tracking coordinates taken from a Geocaching website and then setting out on foot to find treasure (ARRR!). "Caches" (the modern day treasure) can be placed anywhere (i.e. a park, along a sidewalk, in a tree or some other landmark), they differ in size and difficulty level and its your job to find them. What I love is how BIG this is, world wide! If you visit www.geocaching.com, punch in a location it will show all surounding caches and I'm sure you will find some near you.

What's funny is I currently don't own a GPS device, so lately I've been tagging along with friends who do have one, but soon I'll be on my own. I've noticed on geocaching.com that some descriptions take you straight there and that you most likely don't even need a GPS device to find it (I plan to hit those first).

As for the treasure, I've only found small items like figurines, buttons, and other odd items. The real exictment is in the hunt and following the hints and clues

No comments: