Friday, June 1, 2012

Garden Update

North Texas has had AMAZING weather the past week. Warm sunny days in the high 80s and cool, rainy nights....every night. Its been Great! So far we've had Carrots, Zucchini and Cucumbers growing. The Zucchini is holding true to its reputation "One plant is all you need" as it has taken over my compost area. YES its just one plant.
So far its produced five Zucchinis, although the plant itself has taken a beating from the nightly storms.
The cucumbers are doing great. Orginally, I bough what was labeled an Okra plant and turns out....Its cucumber. I have a total of three plants growing, two in the picture below. Last year I grew my cucumbers with my tomatoes and they did not do well at all. This year they are planted with beans and they already seem to be doing better, the beans haven't quite taken off yet.
Check out that tiny Cucumber! There are more like this one around each plant.
The tomatoes haven't taken off quite like they did last year. In fact, by this time last year they were several feet tall and had unripe tomatoes already growing. This if the first time I've transplanted from seed and I'm wondering if I'm dealing with transplant shock. Not sure - If you know, please tell me! :)
This is my backyard, a little messy and in need of mowing (lots of weeding too). The nightly storms have been so powerful they managed to blow over my cement bird bath (back right). I can barely lift that thing myself!
The raised bed my husband built for my birthday. He dug about 2 feet down below the ground surface so it has good depth.
Today, I thinned my carrots and harvested another Zucchini. Also, I've planted four varieties of pumpkins on Monday and I plan to plant watermelon and some more beans this weekend. Its going to be a GREAT summer!

No comments: