Saturday, June 16, 2012

Garden/Yard Update

I've been meaning to take pictures of my Gladiolus that recently came up. I can't remember if I planted them this winter or last. Either way they are beautiful. I planted them in the front flower bed which faces south and they spend their days waving at the neighbors that go by.



Below is a shot of one of my garden beds which has been infested with Yellow Nut Sedge. I had attempted to grow beans in this bed, but as you can see they were dominated by the sedge. I've been reading online and it appears that Yellow Nut Sedge is one of the hardest weeds to get rid of. 
They spread by Rhizomes (runners) and Tubers (underground seeds). So even when you pull them they continue to reproduce through the Rhizomes and Tubers. I've read the only way to get rid of them or reduce the population is to hand weed deep and try to get all Rhizomes and Tubers out. 

As you can see, I made a small dent this morning in the bed. I planted Tomatoes in this bed last year so I know it needs nitrogen. I believe I will continue to work away at the Yellow Nut Sedge and then either do a late summer planting of beans or start on Cereal Rye which I was planning on over wintering for a compost crop.


My pumpkins are doing well. This is the Dill Atlantic variety and its really loving our sunny, but cool weather so far. The other three varieties are doing well too.


The Zucchini plant is great as ever. It produced two more Zucchinis this week which I did not take a picture of. I've been harvesting pretty quickly, while they are still small to keep the harvest coming. 



Also, I have some more female Cucumber Flowers growing (above and below). I expect to have more Cucumbers soon!


The Tomatoes are doing OK. I ended up replacing three out of the five with store bought varieties after they starting dying off. They seem to be doing better their predecessors, I've been giving them plenty of John's Recipe as a liquid nitrogen fertilizer.


I planted my Goblin Eggs last weekend after sprouting them in a plastic bag. They are holding up well and I look forward to plenty of cute eggs to decorate with this fall. See what they look like below. 
                                               (Sew Liberated)

Carrots are still growing. This was my second planting sometime in late March, early April. They should almost been done. This bed tends to not to drain as quickly as the others. I'm curious to know if this has affected the Carrots at all.



I recently noticed another Surprise watermelon plant. I had one in the exact same spot last year, next to where the Zucchini is this year. I believe this variety makes a pretty good size melon, which is great since the varieties I planted this year are smaller.


Last weekend, I also planted Gords along with my Goblin Eggs to add to my festive look this fall.
Its going to be a great harvest!


No comments: