Tuesday, December 4, 2012

The race to March 15th

I've read that its recommended to start your tomatoes indoors eight to ten weeks before your last frost date. Since my last frost date is March 15th, that means January 4th at the earliest! Its ironic, but without knowing this I started my tomatoes on January 4th this year. Just because I was too excited to wait any longer. My problem was that I didn't get them into the ground quick enough. By the time March 15th rolled around we had what seemed like non-stop rain (and laziness). I finally got my tomatoes in the ground around mid April. Now I'm finally getting close to harvesting my first tomato .... in December. I believe I could fertilize much better this year around, but I also believe I need to plan for a March 1st transplant date in 2013. This means, I need to decide which varieties I'm growing over the next month.

What varieties are you considering for 2013?

No comments: