Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Using what you've got

I've been planning for 2013 this month and it occurred to me, "Why not just use what I've got?". I currently have eleven varieties of tomato seeds, some dating back to 2010. From what I've read, it appears that Tomato seeds will last three to four years if stored properly. And if your not sure, you can always do a seed germination test. Just moisten a paper towel, place seeds on it, fold it, put it in a plastic bag and then store it in a dark place. Wait two weeks and then check to see which varieties have sprouted.

The problem is I like buying and trying new seed varieties... really like

With limited space, I believe my solution will need to be a three pronged approach:

1. Decided which varieties you enjoyed the most and grew well. Use what you have left over, these will become your stables.
2. Select one or two varieties you haven't tried (either on hand or purchased) and give them a whirl, these will be your garden adventure.
3. Bless someone else, either with seed varieties you have on hand or by growing extra seedlings to share with a friend. I did it this year and it was exciting to visit my friend's garden and see the other varieties I started. Also, some towns have seed libraries where you can donate seeds and try new ones. 

I don't believe there is anything wrong with purchasing new seeds, especially from organizations that preserve heirloom seeds. However, if you've purchased seed like I have you can end up with far more than you need or can use. Instead, consider new ways to use what you've got.

No comments: