Sunday, March 17, 2013

Planting day

Yesterday was beautiful! The sun was shining, the wind was gently blowing and I KNOW I heard birds chirping. Seeing as it was our last frost date and we have a forecast clear of freezing temps, I decided it was finally time to plant.

I began with the new raised bed my husband assembled last month. I planted six of my Tomato seedlings with plenty of Nasturtiums, Basil and Chives. While it is a newly raised bed, it is actually regular garden bed #4 as I call it, we just added walls and more manure to it. We had Squash in that bed the last two years (I know, that is a big no-no and I paid for it in the Squash Vine borer department)


I also got to work on my Birthday Garden Bed (He finished it on my birthday last year) adding manure, pulling weeds and removing last year's mulch to make room for the seeds.



I went very BioIntensive with my plantings in this bed, at some points completing ignoring the spacing requirements on the seed packets. I had real problem with this bed drying out in the Texas summer heat last year and I'm determined that there will be foliage covering every inch of soil in this bed by summer. Its called Living Mulch because it protects soil microorganisms, reduce water loss, and maximize yields

I planted:

Sweet Corn - Silver Queen
Sunflowers - Mammoth
Beans - Sunset, Rattlesnake, Pinto, Royal Burgundy
Oregano - 4 Packets. I hear its great for pest control
Zucchini - Dark Star
Yellow Squash
Vegetable Spaghetti
Patty Pan
Marigolds - Also for pest control
Melons - Cantaloupe, Prescott Fond Blanc


 

Has the weather warmed up enough in your area to plant? 

 

No comments: