Friday, April 19, 2013

Friend or Foe?

Last Christmas I was blessed with a plethora of Gardening Books and I read them as fast as I could!
One of these books I might say changed my life. Good Bug Bad Bug by Jessica Walliser is an easy to use, easy to read bug identifier for Gardeners. Since reading through it several months ago, I have begun to notice more bugs in my garden. They were probably always there, but now I seem to notice them more. Also, my immediate response is no longer to kill them!

For example, last week while watering I noticed this little guy chilling out on my sprayer.


My first thought was how cute a lady bug! Then it occurred to me that a lady bug may not be a friend to my garden. Then I noticed that it didn't quite look like a lady bug, almost, but not quite. So I ran into the house, grabbed my book and began flipping through the pictures. Yep, it wasn't a lady bug. Instead it was a Colorado Potato Bug, which is a pest. I was so fascinated by this, I didn't do any thing about the bug. Just flicked him off the hose and continued on.

That may not be how I will handle all pest situations in the future, but for now I'm just excited to know what I'm dealing with. 

No comments: