Saturday, April 27, 2013

Powdery Mildew

Lately, I've noticed a white powdery substance on my squash and beans in the birthday bed. A quick internet search reveals that it is some kind of powdery mildew. I've never experienced this before.

According to the link above, when conditions are just right mold spores in the air can latch onto your plants and ta-da.....this happens.


The good news is that it typically isn't fatal....according to the website. I cut off the powdery pieces and threw them away in the trash (not the compost). We've had a lot of rain lately, so I'm guessing the more humid air may have played a role in this.

1 comment:

David Carver said...

I was doing some research today on pest management in gardens and I read several of your articles on managing pests in flowers.
I wanted to let you guys know about a guide I wrote here:
https://blog.pestprophet.com/powdery-mildew/
all about Powdery Mildew.
It is pretty thorough and might be something that could be helpful to your readers, if you think it might be something you'd want to link to.

Keep up the great work!
-David Carver