Thursday, April 25, 2013

Weeds, Weeds and more Weeds




This past weekend, I decided to tackle Garden bed #1 and remove the weeds. This bed was used last year for Tomatoes and the year before for potatoes. It really needs a break. I decided to plant beans and flowers, my M.O. for 2013 it seems. Beans actually put nitrogen back into the soil, so they are great to plant in places where you've previously had heavy nitrogen feeders in years past (such as Tomatoes and Potatoes). I am particularly excited about the flowers though, I'm hoping to see plenty of pollinators this year.

I invested about an hour of weed pulling, before grabbing my garden fork, dislodging the weeds and turning them under like compost. Here is what I planted:


Kentucky Pole Beans
Puprle Coneflower
English Daisy
Zinnia
Hollyhock
Woodland Tobacco

 

No comments: