Sunday, May 12, 2013

Harvesting Lemon Balm

I was on Pinterest recently and came across a pin about growing and harvest herbs. Since I have a plethora of Lemon Balm growing under my squash that I have no idea what to do with, I quickly scrolled to that section.

 
It turns out that there is quite a bit that can be done with lemon balm -

(From Natural News)
Lemon balm is highly valued because of its many applications as a natural treatment for a variety of health issues. The benefits of bee balm include:

* Soothing effects on the nervous system
* Treatment of insomnia, tension, and stress
* Relaxation in a lemon balm bath
* Soothing effects when consumed in tincture or juice
* Heightened longevity
* Enhanced mood of homes and offices when used in potpourri and other decorations
* Calming of stomach issues and digestive disorders, including nausea, vomiting, poor appetite, colic, dysentery, and colitis
* Enhanced liver and gallbladder function
* Quieted anxiety and depression
* Relaxed menstrual cramps and irritability related to PMS
* Treatment for headaches, migraines, vertigo, ringing in the ears, and blood pressure (when combined with linden flowers)
* Reduced fever and treatment of infections and coughs, as well as bronchitis, when used in a hot infusion
* Treatment of cold sores and overactive thyroids
* Cleansing of skin when added to natural cosmetics


Interesting. I especially like the idea of using it in a relaxing bath and treating headaches. I also learned that the best time to harvest lemon balm is in May or June right before the flowers appear. Apparently, that is when the oil production in the leaves is at its highest. The scent is an amazing Lemon Mint smell.

I cut three stems this morning, rinsed and dried to see how well they kept. This is my first time attempting to harvest and dry herbs so I don't want to risk the whole plant before I'm comfortable with the process.

What herbs are you growing this spring?


Learn more: http://www.naturalnews.com/033599_lemon_balm_herb.html#ixzz2SvgfhW00

No comments: