Saturday, June 1, 2013

Bugs

This year I've really got into learning about bugs in my garden and how they interact with each other. Gross right?

Take for example the aphid infestation I noticed about two weeks ago. I found them on my Borage, which I grew for the flowers...so I ignored it. Sure enough this past weekend the aphids were gone and this these little guys were everywhere.

                                            (Aphids)                                      (Larvae)
                           

I wrongly assumed that he was a bad bug and began wondering what I could do to get rid of him. I went straight to my Good Bug Bad Bug book and began to research. What I found surprised me though. He wasn't a Bad Bug, he was a Good Bug!

What I discovered is that I had an abundance of Lady Bug Larva which feed on aphids - Problem Solved. I was impressed that over the next few days, these little alligator looking guys turned into full grown lady bugs protecting my nearby tomatoes. Isn't it neat how God has designed this cycle?

                                                               (Lady Bug)
                                             
In other bug related news, I spotted this Tomato Hornworm over the weekend in addition to an adult Squash Vine Borer and I'm pretty sure I spotted a Squash Bug yesterday. The Squash Vine Borer laid plenty of eggs, but I believe I managed to get them all off and away from my squash.

                                                            (Tomato Hornworm)
                            

What bugs are you spotting this year?

 

 

No comments: