Friday, February 17, 2012

Seedling Update

I seemed to be sticking to the 5th of each month as my planting dates. My first seedlings were technically a seed viability test for my tomato seeds and occurred on January 5th. Then, I did another planting of tomatoes (I'm attempting succession planting this year)on February 5th. I was in garden mode and decided to try my hand at carrots and lettuce as well that day.


I had saved a couple of different sized plastic trays that could be used as a mini-greenhouse during germination. I've read that the humidity inside the trays helps keep the soil moist which is very important for germinating seeds. Once germinated, I just removed the tops and watched my seedlings grow under the grow light.


Carrots - several different varieties including Hybrid Sugarsnax, Davers #126, and a Rainbow Mix from Gurneys. I mixed them up, so it will be a surprise as to which grow. I am especially excited about the rainbow mix, I would love to get red, yellow and purple carrots.


Lettuce - Grand Rapids, Red Sails, Black Seeded Simpson. I didn't really have a method to placing the seeds. I just dumped out the packets into the starter soil, lightly covered and watered. I believe I may need to thin this lettuce? The nice part is that I can eat whatever I thin.


My tomatoes are getting much bigger. Just look at the one on the lower right hand side! I have a total of about 12 tomato plants growing right now. All different varieties - a Big Rainbow heirloom from Ferry-Morse, an Organic Brandywine, Burpee's Bush Big Boy Hybrid, Bountiful Gardens' Lake which is said to cope well with extreme heat and temperature fluctuations, Pineapple which is also from Bountiful Gardens, Jubilee by Ferry Morse and an Organic Roma from Burpee. I mixed all of these up too, so I'll see what I get. Can you tell I like surprises?

No comments: