Thursday, February 2, 2012

Six more weeks of Winter

Happy Groundhogs Day!

So, six more weeks of Winter it is!!! Normally, this would not be something that would thrill me, however considering we've been averaging highs in the mid 60s to low 70s Punxsutawney Phil has made my day (and next six weeks).


What I am truly curious about though is if we will actually have a mild summer?

According to my Farmers Almanac 2012 Long-Range Weather Forecast for Texas-Oklahoma we will have a mild winter and summer this year (so far the people of Yankee Publishing are correct - minus the part about snow). I am also looking forward to the part about "with rainfall above normal in the north" for April and May.

Why does this matter to me?

Typically a North Texas summer consists of highs in the 110 degree range, in fact the digital temp in my car will most likely average 115 degrees from early July through to September. For those of you that garden, you know that tomatoes typically do not fruit in temps that high. So a mild summer equals a bountiful summer for me! It would be the best of both worlds, mild temps + our typically long growing season....my gardeners heart is jumping for joy!

I wonder if Phil has plans this summer?

No comments: